Sunday, October 5, 2014

Starting some more serious modifications

Along with the Galespeed wheels, I plan to swap out the rear swingarm for that from a zx9r -- a 2000-02 model, which is braced, uses the same swingarm and axle diameter, and is actually 2.2kg (5 pounds) lighter.  It will also necessitate a rear caliper change, but that is to the good as well, as the bracket is lighter, as is the rear caliper itself.  I'll be trying to keep track of the weight savings of the lighter parts as they are swapped in.
At the same time, however, the front end also needed some service, so I decided to send the forks off to Race Tech for a gold valve kit, and new oil and seals.  The ZX7r is legendary for its front end, and I didn't want to bother with a total front end swap, despite the radial brakes, and lighter forks.  So after a couple hours' work, I had the front end off.  While I was at it, I also removed the triple clamps and cleaned and re-greased the steering stem bearings.  There was grease still there, but some fresh stuff will be nice to have in place.

As the new wheels do not have a speedo drive, I will be coming up with some sort of instrument solution as well.  The stock gauges have been removed, with the cable speedo drive as well.  The Koso gauges are a common swap, and I have some experience with them wiring up the race gauge for the ex650.  This will require sorting out instrument wiring as well, but apparently it is straightforward.  I have my eye on a newer model they have released.  More on that later.




For the back end, I was hoping I could use the dogbones and linkage from the zx9r swingarm, as it has grease nipples installed already, and the dogbones are lighter in aluminum, rather than steel.  The first step was to get the rear end propped up securely, without using the swingarm bobbins.  The old peg stands I made for the ex650 came in handy here, but of course will only work with solid pegs.  Some aggro was the need to remove the entire exhaust system, right back to the headers, to remove the dogbones, and linkage.

Unfortunately there were too many differences between the zx9r parts and zx7r parts.  The linkage had smaller diameter bolts in the 9r than 7r, so that wouldn't work.  The lighter alu 9r dogbones were also too short, which would make the rear end of the bike sit too low.  While I could wind in some shock length on the WP shock, I decided not to bother, as I doubt I had enough thread on the collar to give me the length I needed.  In the end, I cleaned up the 7r pieces, and cleaned and greased all the needle bearings in the linkage.  Hopefully this will last for another 40,000km!  I am still waiting on a specialized tool to remove the 7R swingarm from the bike.  Those who have done this mod before indicate some machining of spacers is required to line things up properly.  I'll be sure to continue to take notes and pics for others.

No comments: