Monday, July 16, 2012

Oil Cooler

In order to keep the temps down somewhat, I've started the process of engineering and fitting an oil cooler system for the ex650.  It has been a bit frustrating at times with a few false starts, but I think I am at the point where I can post some information.  For what its worth, I've burned some metal together and started cutting holes in fibreglass!  After a false start regarding the cooler itself, I've settled on this one -- a ducati cooler from an S4r -- a bit sexy looking with the neat curve to it, it already has a mesh guard installed.  As you can see it has two rubber mounts to it as well...
I've already fitted the adapter lines that I got from Earls.  To note, the cooler takes an M14x1.5 threaded fitting -- so I got 2 of those (uses a crush washer to seal against the cooler), and the two hose fittings.  I am going with an6, as that is typical with bikes (approx 3/8") and what is used on the Ducati.  Note the threaded boss on the top of the cooler -- its an m10x1.0 -- a very fine pitch which is a standard brake bango size, but there are few if any bolts or plugs to use to seal the hole.  My hope is that a koso oil cooler temp sender, in that thread size, will both plug the hole, and can be used with my koso dash guage for water temps to get oil temps as well.  That is, I would just unplug the water temp lead and use the oil temp lead.  However, my worry is that the sender might be a tapered thread -- will it properly mate into the hole?  Cross fingers!

The next step is to find a suitable mounting location.  As I've been whining about for awhile, there is no room or adequate location to put the cooler behind the front wheel.  Again stealing an idea from Ducati, I've decided to put the cooler in the nose of the fairing.  This is the location of the greatest air pressure, so even a smallish front duct should provide enough air flow to the cooler to keep it cool.  The old Ducati 888 World Superbikes had the cooler in the nose of those bikes.  The trusty stock steel fairing stay that I am now using with the stock pattern bodywork allows me to weld attachments to it.  Dusting off the acetelyne welder, I started with this t-mount:
This is just tacked in place. 

The ends of the "t" have the rubber shrouded expansion fittings normally reserved for fairings.  As you tighten the nuts they expand and have a nice friction fit inside the tube.  The design means that the cooler can't "fall off", but I will safety wire the bolts to be sure. The cooler rides on rubber mounts. 

Dad strongly encouraged the use of rubber mounts all around, so I fabricated a lower stay out of aluminum that uses a rubber saddle from a piece of something that I refused to throw out.  Good thing, as it fits perfectly.

Thowing caution to the wind, I also cut a "mouth" into the front fairing.  I also glassed in a bit of a short tunnel to clean it up a bit and direct some of the air towards the cooler.  I am not sure how long to make the tunnel, as it is still in early stages and I need to clean up and reinforce the matt I used to get the shape.

This actually looks somewhat OK!  The tunnel still needs to be cleaned up and another layer of fibreglass added... it has even helped strengthen the fairing itself.  The plan was always to paint the upper  "gulf blue" anyway!  The oil lines will run up from the sandwich adapter placed behind the oil filter, up the RHS of the bike and rad (left as you look at this picture) and into the cooler and back.

So, the pessimistic Irishman in me cautiously states, that,

1.  IF the sandwich adapter isn't too thick,
2.  IF the Yamaha Raptor filter (shorter by about 1" to accomodate the sandwich adapter) isn't too tall,
3.  IF the koso temp sender fits in the hole on the top of the cooler,
4. and IF I can get the lines properly cut and fitted...

It should work!
Elsewhere around the globe (OK, in the UK), hot-rodding ex650s continues.  For your pleasure...
This is from David Bell's website.  I think he is racing at Scarborough in this picture.  Anyhoo, you can see the following:
Custom bodywork that appears to be an original design; what looks to be a larger R6s radiator; ram air -- note the scoop that extends under the lower triple clamp into the airbox; and an exhaust of unknown manufacture.  Cool!

And finally, Dave Pearce of Tigcraft continues to send me pics of his various creations.  He's finished a Yamaha-based moto3 racer, and the ex650 machine he's been working on is complete... he sent it to me titled, "Parts bike"... right!
From what I can see:  R6 forks and swingarm, triumph 675 wheels, custom bodywork (based on a tzr, I think) cental fuel tank (under a dummy cover), fireblade tail section.  Of course, the custom frame, and note the ram air system -- the carbon scoop goes through the headstock directly into the airbox.  Custom exhaust, custom radiator (thicker core)... apparently the engine makes 91hp!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello

I'm looking to put an oil cooler on my bike, I've no idea what the parts are I need.

I'm aware I'll need a sandwich plate, plate cooler and hoses but no idea of sizes of the sandwich plate and connections.

Could you help me with that information please?

Kind regards

Andy