Monday, February 1, 2010

Living by the Kiss Principle

No comments about being part of the Kiss Army or wearing face paint and silly boots...

Went through the original wiring loom and got rid of all the extraneous wiring -- for turn signals, handlebar switches, brake lights, headlights, etc.  Hooked it up when done, and the engine cranks, so I'm assuming it is correct.  Will have to wait a few months before I actually fire it up to run...

Far simpler than what I started with -- with a weight savings in the ounces.



Getting rid of the extra wiring also allowed me to simplify the connections in the cockpit.  No auxiliary wiring and power to run a guage, a tach, a water temp gauge, no battery for a lap timer because...



I splurged for one of these -- a Mychon 3 gauge.  It does a lot -- RPMs 9 (programmable to whatever range you want), temp gauge (EGT, CHT or water -- I'll choose the water), and a lap timer!  Pretty cool, and all the data can be downloaded to your computer!  Essentially 3 gauages in one, with data storage, for the price (used) of a decent tachometer.  No farting around with power supply as well, 'cause it runs on a pair of AAA batteries!  Kart racers have been using these for years, so it is ideal for single-cylinder engines.  It is also idiot-proof, as it has an automatic-on feature (when the bike fires up), and shuts off after 10 minutes to save battery life.
In other news, the 'mono is back home -- I've made stainless muffler mounts with rubber bushings, modified the rs125 seat to work with the rear subframe, found a proper shock mount (borrowed a fork clamp), and will set about working on making new rad mounts.  Paint will be applied to the new tail and fender shortly.  With all my hemming and hawing, a TT racer said replica paint schemes on club racing bikes was "a tad wank"... and he's right.  The bike is unique enough in its own right, might as well personalize it to my tastes, rather than ape a MotoGP bike.  I doubt anyone would confuse me or the bike for being a GP machine anyway...

Lucky Stroke may reign again!

No comments: