Monday, November 9, 2009

Ducati again


Got the frame back from Cycleboyz today. Happy with the result. Nice, thick, glossy, durable clearcoat. All frames should be painted with this!






Several metric bolts sacrificed themselves to plug threaded tabs on the frame. Luckily after the last 13 or so years of riding and wrenching, I never threw anything out. I'll keep these too, for the next time I need something coated.






Past experince has shown me how much a few mils of powdercoat will muck with the fitment of the engine, swingarm, and other parts during reassembly. So, I went at the frame with the dremel tool and a nice, 80-grit sanding drum. Didn't want to take off any metal, but had to remove the coating for the engine to fit properly. If you don't, things get damaged and "chunks" of coat will come off like shards -- like an eggshell and ruin the finish in areas you can "see". This avoids that... although it is tedious work!
Engine comes home tommorow!

No comments: