Sunday, January 25, 2009

Weathered!

Another crazy cold weekend -- 29 degrees below zero, not including the wind chill. My typing sucks as my fingers are still slow and lacking feeling. Not that I was much of a typist anyway. Away on Saturday, and so Sunday was spent finish-welding the frame. As always, there is some distortion in the end result, but the old cases sure helped keep the engine mount straight. Nice to know that step is done. From here on in, any welding will be mainly for fairing stays and mounting the electrical components to the frame.


Speaking of, while I have the harness on hand, the starter solonoid is the only part that I have with the machine -- will need an EFI, a regulator/rectifier, and the handlebar switches. As well as a manual or wiring diagram to sort everything out. These are stupid expensive new, so its time to troll ebay again -- I got an EFI from Canada for $25.00, and have a line on a regulator from the UK -- if the owner will ship it my way. However, the next immediate step is to give the engine a good cleaning, and start to re-assemble. This requires another unfortunate trip to Atom-Jet, to get the rear swingarm/engine mount bolt cut to the proper length (thread-wise), and the front M10 as well. At least I have a nice grade 8 bolt for the front.


I have the carburetor sitting behind me, in pieces. Previous owner used a PK sheet metal screw instead one of the float bowl bolts. Ahole! Not sure how I'll sort that. That sort of stuff drives me mental. Might be able to re-tap things. And ALL the phillips-head screws for the carb are stripped. Mini vice-grips to the rescue.


Kate and I watched "Cars" again on DVD this weekend. A great movie -- I love how it apes a Nascar telecast, or any film like "Days of Thunder". Led me to wonder how this scheme might look on the bike...

No comments: