Sunday, November 30, 2008

Pic-less progress

Pop did his usual parts-mule job when he and mom came out for a quick visit. He brought a pile of stuff, including the engine for the DZR400 project (which came with most of the wiring loom, the carbs, and other stuff) as well as various bits and bobs for the Ducati. As for the Duc -- I bought two exhaust systems -- a D&D and a staintune, to see if either would work with the MH swingarm. Turns out the D&D won't (and I sold it for a wee profit), but the Staintune would, with some work. So I mounted the rear header pipe and exhaust (a nice reverse - megaphone), and started to modify the horizontal header to work. I will need some 1 5/8 stainless tubing to mate everything up... Cdn Tire has mild steel header bends in this size, but no stainless -- I found some on ebay that should work. I can tack this into place, and then take it to Cycleboys to get finished by a tig welder. Mocked up, it already looks 1000 times better than my home-made exhaust system that you can see on the earlier posts way below.
As well, I was able to get a neat 6-piston FG front caliper and a set of EBC wave rotors for cheap. The caliper needed a bit of machining to fit the fork properly, and so as I am only running a single front rotor, the other rotor went on to the DRZ -- fit perfectly! Radial caliper, wave rotor -- cool! As soon as the exhaust is fitted, I'll take some more snaps of the Ducati.
The DRZ has been a bit frustrating, as I used a crappy cheap caliper to measure the bore of the engine case -- at 16.4mm -- so I ordered some 16mm drill rod to use as a bolt... and its too small. Bugger -- must be 17mm. I HAD a nice 17mm rear axle from a Ducati that would work perfectly, but sold it on ebay. So there I went again to get a replacement. This means the frame will have to be bored out to 17mm (didn't want to bother with sleeving the engine case), as well as the brass swingarm bushes. Bugger! Waste of money, as the minor trimming needed to go from 15 to 17mm coulda been done the first time. Oh, if I only had a lathe!
Did get the engine in situ in the frame (rough mock-up), and it fits a treat -- lots of room on either side of the frame tubes, and tons of room for a nice radiator and the oil tank. Hooray! Pics to come soon.

1 comment:

headlybros said...

Great blog, been reading since the luckystrokes site
Buy a lathe you'll pay for it in 6 months. BusyBee tools http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B2227L
has this one for <$900 another $200or so for some tooling and you are set. I've had one of these (B2227L) for 4 years or so and use it daily when I'm in bike building mode. So far fabbed lots of bits for my Guzzi V11 sport and Duc916 projects. Great for making special tools like bearing and seal press mandrels and stepped punches. Save the cost just on this kinda thing I figger.