Thursday, September 18, 2008

Motive Power

As you can tell, I love eBay. While at times it can be a double-edged sword, I have been able to sell almost anything, and buy almost anything, online. At times, the prices listed or the closing prices for auctions are borderline criminal... every once in awhile, however, things go your way.

I needed an engine for the project. My plan was to get an idea over the coming months of the "going rate" for MX and/or enduro engines. I did take some measurements of Billy Martens' 650 ninja, but realized that the parallel twin was just a hair too wide to fit inbetween the frame rails. A single it would be.

I soon found that most 450 MX engines sold around the $1000 mark, depending on accessories, hours, and upgrades. A few shops sold brand new ones -- somehow they got bikes at wholesale and dumped the engines online. Those would have buy-it-now prices in the 2500 to 3000 mark. MSRP, for sure! As usual, the KTMs were more expensive, and while I was attacted to a late-90s Husaberg, parts availability made me rethink getting such an exotic engine, even if it did go for the one and only bid of $450.00

I decided I would focus on the big 4 Japanese manufacturers. A 650 rotax/can-am/bombardier/BMW was considered, but this engine was far too heavy for its output. I did a general search of "suzuki engine" (and got 1000s of hits), but stumbled across a DRZ400 engine starting at 250 bucks. It was a 2002 and included carb, electrical, and looked to be in nice shape, according to the pictures. The only reason I hadn't found it sooner was because the seller (a non motorcycle dude or dudette) called it a "DZR" -- the usual eBay queries would not have found it! As such, I put in a bid $1.00 lower than the still reasonable "buy it now" price of $650, and ended up getting it for $415. Score one for me! Shipping but the final price just over $500, but I got an incredible deal. Granted it has the Mikuni carb, but the FCR mod is pretty straightforward. It turns out that this engine is a suitable choice in more ways than one.

1. Someone has done it before, recently: I didn't see it up close, but Pearce built a "street" tigcraft that was featured in MCN this past summer featuring, you guessed it, a DRZ400 engine. The electric start, cooler running, 5-speed makes it a more suitable street mount than an MX engine. And, a HUGE range of upgrades are still available. You can see this bike online at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w1Exc1YLZ8 It is a cool youtube video of the bike.

2. I have a "real" DRZ400 closeby. Stacey Jones, all around nice guy and local supermotarder, allowed me to take some measurements and snap some photos of his 400. This allowed me to get an idea of the size and mounting of the engine (after I bought it!). And I'll rely on his experience regarding exhausts (he has a Muzzy), his upcoming carb mod (he's got an FCR to bolt on), and just general care and feeding of the DRZ. I think I'll let him do all the hard modding work and benefit from his experience! All told, he's told me its been bulletproof (although its an 06 or 07, I think).

3. Simplicity. Its a short-stroke single. It's liquid-cooled, but by all accounts, it doesn't have the silly waterpump seal on the camshaft tomfoolery of a KTM. The remote oil tank (dry sump) is a new one on me, but Pop is used to that stuff with aircraft. And, I should be able to fit a larger oil tank (1.7L is stock), with the associated benefits of more oil to cool and circulate. It includes an electric start, and the starter itself is included.

Some not-insurmountable challenges:

  • oil tank -- fittings, location, volume, construction, materials...
  • radiator -- sourced from what? Lots of room on the bike, but I need to figure what would suit the engine best. An SV650 rad is small and should keep the engine plenty cool...
  • exhaust -- the Muzzy offers great performance for a good price -- couldn't get a custom one built for the price of a new SS/Alu Muzzy -- should I fabricate the engine mounts around the exhaust? That would mean buying/borrowing one now (at least the headers).
  • will the stator run a headlight stronger than 35watt?
  • there is a wiring harness included, but is it for a dual purpose or enduro bike?
  • tank will be a simple gravity feed to the carbs... is there one that will work, or will I have to fab a custom one?

These are the questions that make fabricating fun!!!!

No comments: