Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Christmas Report

After a few days in Mid-December that were somewhat warm, we're back to a deep-freeze situation in MB again. The good news is that I was able to get out ice riding already, and the MTB tire experiment seems to have worked a treat! The idea was to cut up mountain-bike tires and use them as liners in the TTR tires. They are far more "flexible", and can be shoehorned into the studded tire much easier. They also provide sufficient protection to the tube, as the ice screws do not protrude too far into the tires carcass. In the end, after a valiant struggle by Scott at Transcanada, the tires were mounted and remained airtight for the day. Hoorah! Finally a consistent level of traction for ripping around the ice. Tellingly, only 1 crash this time out, whereas before it was 1 every five laps in the past.
Christmas also provides an opportunity to head to Fort Frances for a family visit, too much food, too much drink, and a chance to pick up parts which were being stockpiled there by my folks (shipping issue with the states). This trip saw me grab the spare TTR wheels (great shape), chin spoiler (new!), velocity stack covers (new), sprocket cover, exhaust heat shield, as well as a new helmet (Vemar, Snell 2005 spec), and a set of riding ankle boots from Spidi. I guess I am a slave to fashion. As well, I spent some time and made some numbers for the Carbon monster number plate I got from the UK. I was actually able to fabricate brackets so I can remove the headlight, unplug the wires, and mount the plate with 2 bolts -- pretty slick. The chin hugger was missing its mounting brackets, but a trial fit shows impressive quality and thick carbon. Light but pretty meaty. I also did a slight mod in order to clean up the undertray a bit -- just drilled some new holes to slide the assembly forward. The rear licence plate (when it is mounted) should be a bit more flush with the subframe and look a bit cleaner.

No comments: