Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Details

I've complained before about how easy it is to get caught up in the "bling" when you own a Ducati... billet or carbon-fibre anything is easily available, and one could sink thousands into a bike without knowing it. I was thinking of this after I heard a song on the radio -- a blues tune that went, "I wish I had a dime for every dollar I spent on you..." Somewhat similar to my favourite, "I never knew how rich I was until I stopped racing.
On to the blingy bits:



First off, a new clutch slave cylinder. In a nice anodized red, featuring a 30% reduction in lever effort... OK, that would be nice. I just like the color.

Next, a new set of brake and clutch levers. I've always hated the remote resevoir models... at least since I actually owned a bike that had one. They stick up, get in the way of fairings, and seem to be the first things to break off in a spill. Also, there are two more places where brake fluid can weep out. In my past experience, a brand new Braking brand master cylinder leaked (replaced for free), as well as a used Gixxer model. So I prefer the coffin-style ones. I happened across an auction where a seller was selling a matching set of hydraulic front brake master cylinder, and hydraulic clutch master cylinder, from a MV Agusta. He also included the front brake calipers, but I will re-sell them, as they are not compatible with my parts. They are built by Nissin, so should match up with the Nissin 6-pots I have perfectly.


Next, the exhaust system. I've always wanted a Hindle exhaust... but never owned a new-enough 900ss to make them fit. Their design requires the 900ss ie style of frame (some subtle differences) to clear the hi-mount pipes exiting towards the mufflers. With the 748 frame and the detachable subframe, clearance won't be an issue. And since I am using a stock 900ss swingarm, with the shock at the same attitude/angle, I shouldn't have any clearance problems with the shock. Guys with big feet have complained about hitting their heels on the pipe and melting their boots, but I don't think that will be an issue because I'm a size 10, and the location of my feet on the pegs will be different (different frame and rearsets). Note too that a section of the pipe has been wrapped with tape... I've heard nothing but bad things about pipe wrap, so I plan to remove it, but maybe get it coated by DI coatings with some jet-hot material.






The last purchase I made for cosmetic's sake was a newer rear hugger. I already have a CF one, but it was damaged as a result of a ride-height/underseat exhaust fiasco... so there was a section that was burnt through. And no amount of repair via convential means would make it look decent, so I grabbed up a replacement when it came on ebay. Should match the front fender
nicely.





The final piece in my mind would be a CF chin spoiler to complete the cafe look. I had a race version, but it been beat up and repainted so many times that I wouldn't think of putting it on a streetbike. So until I scratch together the cash, I'll dream of this:

When I get some time, I'll go over the installation of the clutch slave cylinder...


No comments: