Saturday, September 29, 2007

Paint!


Rather than go to the expense of having the frame powder-coated, I decided to paint it myself. That way, if there were any structural failures, or if anything needed to be modified, I could still apply the touch-up myself. Perhaps in the distant future a powder-coat will be in order, but knowing what I know about the licencing procedure in MB, the vin will be replaced by a decal by MPI... might as well try to do it right the first time.

Actually, I didn't! I got some industrial fleet-grade paint from the local supply store, where I get consumables, as well as the autoair I've been using on bodywork. This was a PPG product, and had 3 parts, the paint, the catalyst, and another piece -- the hardner, perhaps? Either way, it was pretty hot stuff, but all told, cost just under $100 for the pint. Plenty to do the frame. I first sprayed one coat, let it cure, and re-assembled the bike. However, I stipped it all back down again, as I realized I had time (patience, grasshopper!), and could do a better job. So I sanded it with 400, and sprayed it again. Surely the second coat would look better, right?

Nope.

So... I decided I'd hit it with 600 dry, knock down the orange peel, and then clear it. Lord knows I had a ton of clear... a new product I use comes in gallon quantities at a minimum, so I could spray to my heart's content. Finally, after shooting it with clear (more practice, I guess), the frame finish was far more tolerable. Still not powdercoat quality, and no doubt not as durable, but at least as good as a factory paint job.

The color was a bit off from what I wanted -- a red with a bit of pop. Once again, color charts don't do anything justice, and while this color was called "tomato red", its.... orange. Sorta. Like a red-orange...

This would end up limiting some of my body paint options, like a tricolor scheme, but in the end, I've never regretted a more subtle paint job. We went into the Mini dealer in 2004 with my heart set on a yellow, metallic red or hot blue mini, and we left with a charcoal grey. Better choice, in the end. Kate's more mature, calming influence. The bike went together, and I set about getting the tail section, lights, wheels, and etc. sorted out...

No comments: