Friday, September 28, 2007

A history lesson




Okay, now that I know this thing works, a bit of a review. The pic at the top shows the Ducati in the incarnation I got it -- a 1998 SS FE, crash damaged and sitting in Kentucky. Purchased on ebay, the first step was to get the thing, and then haul it back up to Canada. At first, I thought it was going to be a streetbike, but since I was in need of a racer, and the TZ125 I had was a disaster, I spent the winter of 2005-06 converting it into a racebike. As you can see from the pics, it took on a few different incarnations during the 2006 season, mainly to get it looking a bit more asthetically pleasing. The following modifications took place:




  • airtech bodywork


  • marvic mag wheels


  • slipper clutch


  • ohlins, then a penske rear shock


  • arc fabrication exhaust


  • MBP 966 kit with Mahle Pistons (overbore by Millenium Cylinder Tech)


  • porting and head polishing by BCM Ducati


  • alloy upper fairing stay


  • single front rotor


  • home-made rearsets


  • braided brake lines


  • Michelin Race tires (pilot powers)


  • 41mm keihnin carbs


  • superbike front forks with cyclecat triple clamps


So a lot was done to the bike, and I ended up with a decent handling, powerful machine. I had a machine that was more than a match for the SV 650s and Ninja 650 in the Thunderbike class. I even beat a few 600s in Supersport. Cool machine!


No comments: